Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Glory Over Everything
Glory Over Everything: Beyond the Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
Rating: 4 Stars
After finishing The Kitchen House in a day, I was super excited to have received an advance reader copy of the sequel from NetGalley.
This story picks up some years after The Kitchen House left off, and follows the life of Jamie after he’s arrived in Philadelphia. Like it’s predecessor, it is well written, and easy enough to follow even with multiple point of view changes and time shifts. And again, this was a book I picked up and couldn’t put down, another one I easily finished in a day.
I enjoyed that this book really took a look at the trials of mulatto people during that time, a theme I haven’t seen very much. This story seemed slightly less dramatic than The Kitchen House, but I didn’t mind that. While I loved The Kitchen House, there were times when I felt bogged down by all the drama happening. In Glory Over Everything, I felt the same connection to the characters, and felt that I was seeing an accurate picture of their lives, but the main drama was part of the overarching story line.
Like The Kitchen House, I feel that this book will stay with me long after I’ve finished reading, and I already can’t wait to see what Grissom comes up with next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Library Book

The Library Book by Susan Orlean Rating: 3 Stars This book is billed as true crime, and while it does cover the mysterious fire (ars...