Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Worth the Wait

Worth the Wait by Lori Foster

Rating: 2 stars
This was a DNF for me. I got about 75% done and just couldn’t take it anymore. I skimmed the last few chapters and called it quits. 

Based on the synopsis, I thought this books would be right up my alley, and as a Kindle deal over Black Friday, a great way to introduce myself to a new author. However, I felt that the whole story was flat, even with everything going on (and by that I mean the multiple, very loosely connected storylines).

One of my main issues with this book was that there were too many story lines, and none of them were fully fleshed out. This story could have been served much better, if the two main romances had been separate books. Even though there were plenty of details for each story, it felt like there still wasn’t any substance. The conflicts were too easily resolved and treated almost as afterthoughts. The whole sexual harassment story line could have been a true source of conflict, but was addressed so superficially it felt like a writing project for a creative writing class on how to introduce conflict. 

Which brings me to my other major issue: the author’s writing style. It felt so repetitive and forced, very amateurish. There were multiple times I’d read a sentence and think, “Did a high school student write this book as a creative writing project?” 
I know romances are supposed to be somewhat predictable and conflict easily resolved, that’s why I read so much of it; but the conflict, dialogue, and internal thoughts of the characters need to be believable and relate-able to the reader and Foster definitely missed the mark on that score.  

Overall, I thought it was boring and dragged on way too long. I don’t think I’ll be reading anymore by this author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Library Book

The Library Book by Susan Orlean Rating: 3 Stars This book is billed as true crime, and while it does cover the mysterious fire (ars...