Saturday, April 28, 2018

Review: A Conspiracy in Belgravia

A Conspiracy in Belgravia by Sherry Thomas

Rating: 2.5 Stars

I’m struggling a little bit with my feelings on this book. On the one hand, I think Sherry Thomas is an excellent writer and the cliffhanger at the end of the book insures I’ll pick up the next installment. 

On the other hand, I struggled to get through this book. I felt too bogged down in details for most of the story. I loved that the ending of the mystery had a twist I didn’t expect, but I honestly couldn’t explain, even immediately after finishing it, what the plot/mystery actually was. It went in and out of my brain almost immediately. It’s how I felt about the first one as well. And it’s been over a year since I’ve read that one, so I had a hard time following all of the characters and storylines that were brought back from the first story. 

I found the relationships to be the most compelling parts of the book, and I’m particularly interested in reading more about how the main characters continue to relate to each other.

I give this 2.5 Stars, because Thomas is a great writer and I think she writes a good mystery, but I also think there’s too much happening for one book. That is most likely a writing style preference on my part, and I would recommend this to anyone interested in historical mysteries. I will also definitely be reading the next one because I want to know what happens next; not so much the next mystery, but where she takes these characters and their relationships to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Library Book

The Library Book by Susan Orlean Rating: 3 Stars This book is billed as true crime, and while it does cover the mysterious fire (ars...